Saturday, January 12, 2013

Full or satisfied... Learning the difference

I have been so proud of myself this past few weeks.. I have really learned a lot about nutrition as well as myself.. I have found when I am really in the mode I am a lot stronger than I thought!  At work yesterday all the girls in the office were ordering from brick oven a popular pizza and italian place, I was asked if I wanted to order, I looked over the menu and heard what the others were ordering and for a minute I thought I could have a free day just one.. but then I thought I have been working so hard I am NOT going to blow it now.. so I ordered with them but I ordered a caesar salad with fat free dressing.... and that was it! .. Sitting around the table with them smelling the calzones and alfredo was a little hard but I felt a sense of satisfaction knowing that I had made a good decision and I almost felt a sense of control... After I was finished with my salad, I didn't feel full, it was almost as if I wanted something more, but I sat for a min. and thought to myself am I satisfied? ... Yes I was! .. I was satisfied, not full, but satisfied... in the past I think I have lost site on why we eat.. I obviously ate more for pleasure than for survival and the food that was pleasurable for me did not serve my body well.

So.... everytime I eat now, I have been using a smaller plate, and when I am done eating I think to myself am I satisfied?? ... If I am then I stop... I hope that I can continue to be strong, and to realize that I don't need to be full! ..

I will still want foods that are pleasurable.. and I will still eat them, but it will be with a differnt attitude now.. instead of sitting down to eat a piece of cake that ends up being 2 or 3 pieces I will stop at one and I will be satisfied! ... And that is good enough!!!

4 comments:

  1. Great job, Mandy. That's a lesson that many of us struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is weird huh? You feel like you are starving when I think it's just adjusting to not over eating. Today I have struggled with that one. You are doing so great I am so excited and proud of you! Keep on keepin' on my friend! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! .. Thanks for helping me and being there for me along the way!

      Delete